Monday, October 3, 2011

Butternut Squash Soup - super easy recipe

I love the produce that fall introduces to us each year.  Squash is one of my favorite things to cook with because it's so versatile and there are so many varieties. I also love that they have a long shelf life - i.e. they sit on my counters and pose as beautiful seasonal decorations while they are waiting to be added into a meal.

Today I opted to make a quick soup for breakfast.

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups chopped organic butternut squash
  • 2 cups low sodium organic vegetable broth
  • 1/3 cup chopped red onion
  • evoo drizzle (I used basil infused)
  • herbs - whatever you like
  • nutmeg (just a sprinkle)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Toss squash & onion in a drizzle of olive oil, sprinkle with dried herbs (I used a chef's blend - salt free) and roast in oven for about 25 minutes or until slightly translucent and browning around edges. remove from oven and place in mixing bowl.  Add the vegetable broth.  I used a hand mixer/emulsifier to puree the squash with the broth.  I like a thicker soup so I left some chunks of squash in there.  Sprinkle with nutmeg and blend until desired consistency.

This made 2-3 servings, depending on your serving size.

Side note: It's good to keep a few cartons of low sodium chicken or vegetable broth in your pantry during the fall and winter.  It's a useful staple to have on hand for many recipes and dishes. While it's more cost effective to buy the squash and do the work yourself, many stores do the prep work for you.  You can buy packaged, chopped squash in most grocery stores.  Wegman's in BelAir has an incredible assortment of prepackaged veggies all prepped and ready to cook, complete with infused olive oil and other seasonings on the side.


Squash, onions & herbs prior to roasting

I used Trader Joe's low sodium organic veggie broth

After roasting the veggies

Adding the broth to the veggies in a mixing bowl

Everything pureed together

Ta-da!  It looks like it needs something else though, don't you think?

Sprinkled with Brad's Naked Leafy Kale

This snack has many uses - I put it on everything!

KK got her own spoon and helped herself to my soup

She helped herself to my Leafy Kale too!

"If I don't look at Mommy, she won't see what I'm doing"

KK totally approved of the Leafy Kale added to the soup

She said "Mommy, this is really good!"

2 comments:

  1. I've been looking for a good recipe for Butternut Squash. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The addition of the raw leafy kale is genius!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails