Monday, September 5, 2011

Whole Wheat Blueberry Banana Oat Muffins - Oh My!!

On my quest to introduce my girls to more homemade whole foods, I decided to try another recipe from Happy Herbivore this morning for breakfast.  Last week I made the HH chocolate zucchini muffins and they were outstanding.  All three girls loved them.  Today, I opted for Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins, with a few slight changes based on what I had in my fridge & pantry.  Another WIN!!
This recipe makes 12 muffins.

We are HUGE fans of Happy Herbivore!
While at Wegman's yesterday I picked up two pints of Organic wild Maine blueberries based on the produce manager's recommendation.  Apparently these blueberries are only available for about 2 weeks during the year.  They are tiny, sweet and loaded with antioxidants.


Here's the recipe per the Happy Herbivore book.  Below that are my alterations.

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp fine salt
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ground ginger
  • 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 3/4 cup frozen wild blueberries

    *I omitted the ginger, ground the oats in the blender to make them finer, added 2 whole over-ripe bananas, used only 1/2 cup applesauce, used Turbinado instead of brown sugar.

My girls LOVE to help cook & bake.  I have found that they are more apt to eat the healthier foods presented to them when they help to create those foods.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon & ginger until well combined.  Add applesauce, sugar & maple syrup and stir until almost combined.  Add blueberries and stir until just combined (don't overmix!)  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Grease or spray muffin pan.  
 
 Spoon into muffin tins, filling until about 3/4 full.  Optional: sprinkle oats & brown sugar on top of the muffins.  Bake for 18-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.  I used a dark coated muffin pan and baked for 20 minutes - they were perfect!  Transfer to a wire cooling rack...then ENJOY!




Blueberry goodness!

Korinne loved her muffin!

Lexi was also a fan!

Ashelyn asked for a second one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails