Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Baked Stuffed Avocado with Quinoa

Hi.  My name is Debi and I love avocado.  Okay, more than love.  I'm borderline obsessed with it.  Look, I didn't start eating avocado until I was 35 (that was last year) so I have a lot to make up for!!  You get it, right??

Two weeks ago I made fried avocado (which was pretty amazing, by the way).  If I can fry it, I can bake it...that would make sense, yes?  I tried it and it was flippin' fantastic!!  It's a winner, folks.

Yum, Yummo, Yummy, Yum.

This serves 1 person since I dined alone (ah...peace & quiet with my avocado and a beer).  

1 whole avocado
1/4 cup quinoa, cooked
1/4 cup no salt tomato sauce
1/4 cup diced yellow pepper
1/4 cup diced red onion
Scant teaspoon Trader Joe's taco seasoning
1-2T goat cheese

Preheat oven to 375.  Cook quinoa according to package.  I made 1/4 cup.  After removing it from the heat, I added the tomato sauce, diced veggies and spices.  Stir to combine and cover in pot...let sit for 5 minutes.  While that's hanging out, slice your avocado lengthwise and remove pit.  Score the avocado meat horizontally & vertically (see pic below).  Carefully scoop out the chunks but leave some avocado meat in the skin - trust me!  Add the scooped out avocado chunks to the quinoa mixture and gently stir.  Sprinkle in the goat cheese.  Add the mixture to the hollowed out avocado halves and place in a shallow baking pan.  Heat for about 15 minutes in oven.  That's it!!

Because the Trader Joe's taco seasoning packs some serious heat, I highly recommend serving this with an ice cold beer or margarita.   Again, trust me...It's a perfect combo!!


The ingredients - pretty simple!

Slice avocado lengthwise and remove pit

Score each half horizontally and vertically, then scoop out gently

Leave some avocado in the halves, add the scooped out cubes to a bowl
Add tomato paste, veggies & spices to the cooked quinoa and let sit
add diced avocado and sprinkle of goat cheese, mix gently
bake avocado for 15 minutes at 375
PERFECT with a cold Bud Light Lime!!
One half down...onto the other half!

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails