Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Vegetable Soup - Great for the Icky Sickies

Pretty much the entire globe knows I was sick last week.  Yeah, I'm a whiner.  I know this.  When I was able to eat again I felt the need to stuff myself silly with all things bread.  When I had to perform contortionist moves in order to get my jeans on the other day, I knew I was not in a good place.  I thought it might be good to make some vegetable soup - that's a good, hearty comfort food that helps combat the ickies and is really a much better option than cinnamon toast or a muffin.

I had a lot of what I needed already, so I just threw it together.  First, I roasted the veggies for about 25 minutes at 375 degrees to bring out the flavor.
















I used -
  • 5 carrots - sliced
  • 4 stalks of celery - diced
  • tiny white potatoes
  • edamame - shelled
  • yellow pepper - diced
  • 1/2 onion - diced
  • fresh thyme
  • plus the items listed below...

I added the roasted veggies to the crockpot and topped those with 2 cups of organic, low sodium vegetable broth along with 2+ cups of water and a few tablespoons of tomato paste.  I also tossed in in chopped zucchini, chopped green cabbage and fresh parsley.
















When it was done - it smelled fantastic - and tasted even better.  It's been great for dinner or for an evening snack.  I get loads of veggies - which I always need more of anyway without a lot of sodium.  It makes me cough simmer down and makes my throat feel better.
I love my veggie soup!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails